Notices

Updates for August 25, 2014:

+The site has MOVED. If you still see this page, please clear your web browser cache and go to http://www.livingjapanese.com

Feb 15, 2011

Manga Introduction: マイ・ガール


Today's manga is a truly delightful series that is a bit reminiscent of Yotsubato. It also happens to be my favorite manga.

Title: マイ・ガール (My Girl
Author: 佐原 ミズ (Sahara Mizu
Difficulty: 3/5 (1 easy, 5 hard)
Furigana: No
Format: 漫画 (Manga

マイ・ガール has several primary qualities: slice of life, drama

This series is primarily a slice of life series, which means a lot of common material to make reading easier. It also means that the plot is a bit more simplistic, but in this case I feel that makes it all the better. The drama element stems from the fact that this series isn't as light-hearted and carefree as something like Yotsubato!, but its contact with more serious issues allows the series to make some profound and heart-warming statements on life.

Plot: The plot of the series revolves around the lives of Kazama Masamune and his daughter, whom he didn't know existed. Masamune is a simple person who has been living a simple, boring life, but from the day that he meets his daughter everything changes. I don't want to spoil anything, because this manga is just that good. Suffice to say, the two face many day-to-day trials and learn how to live together.

Art: The art in this series is absolutely gorgeous. The facial expressions really capture the emotions that the characters are feeling. Rather than attempt to do the art justice with words, I'm going to post several more images than usual.

In summary, this series is a wonderful manga that will leave you feeling better about life and possibly wanting a daughter. I really hope you'll give this manga a try, because if you're anything like me you'll be hooked by the first chapter.


View My Girl on Amazon.co.jp

2 comments:

  1. I had my local bookstore order a copy for me the day before yesterday. I should be getting it in about a week or two when they call me and tell me they received my order.

    ReplyDelete