Notices

Updates for August 25, 2014:

+The site has MOVED. If you still see this page, please clear your web browser cache and go to http://www.livingjapanese.com

Feb 8, 2011

Manga Introduction: のんのんびより


Today's introduction is actually not a series I began early on in my learning, but rather a gem I found recently.

Title: のんのんびより (Non Non Biyori
Author: あっと (atto
Difficulty: 2.5/5 (1 easy, 5 hard)
Furigana: Yes
Format: 漫画 (Manga

のんのんびより has several primary qualities: Slice of Life/School Life, Comedy

This series is quite simplistic – and highly enjoyable for that simplicity. As I've said before, slice of life series are much easier to get into and read because there is a lot of common material. Comedy can make Japanese more difficult to understand, as some forms of comedy rely heavily on wordplay or verbal jokes

Plot: The plot of the series is simple: cute girls doing cute things in a cute way. Each chapter follows the same general format, wherein the characters encounter some situation and something funny happens. By the end of the chapter, the situation is resolved with a final punchline. Few comedy series actually make me laugh, but I find this one quite hilarious.

In summary, this manga is a nice, light-hearted series that is highly enjoyable. I've rated its difficulty a bit higher than ネギま, as the jokes require a better understanding to really appreciate. The art is also extremely nice to look at. So unless you have a heart condition that could make reading this dangerous, I highly advise checking this series out.

View Non Non Biyori on Amazon.co.jp

Return to the Media Introductions section.

4 comments:

  1. I love cute girls doing cute things!

    This looks kind of interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one. Thanks for the tip.

    >cute girls doing cute things in a cute way

    This sounds right up my alley!

    >Comedy can make Japanese more difficult to understand, as some forms of comedy rely heavily on wordplay or verbal jokes.

    I've often seen wordplay and puns in slice of life series, for comedic effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good one to read. I hope you recommend more for me to read since I want to test my language skill constantly.

    >Comedy can make Japanese more difficult to understand, as some forms of comedy rely heavily on wordplay or verbal jokes.

    I hope I'll understand them. But I guess you've got to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of it, but this gives me something to try out on my bus ride tomorrow. So I'll download a few chapters now. If I like it enough, I'll buy some of them for my collection and for easier access.

    ReplyDelete